family

family

Monday, May 2, 2011

May 1, 2011


A day for the history books, indeed.  While so many are celebrating and elated with the news, I sit in our family room feeling so conflicted and with a burdened heart.

I got a text message from my sister to turn on the news at 11:26 p.m. (EST) on Sunday evening.  It was then that I learned of the news that US found, captured and killed Osama bin Laden in a firefight in Pakistan.  This is indeed justice for all the families of those that were wounded and killed in the brutal attack against our country on September 11, 2001 - nearly 10 years ago. 

However, I am shocked as a I read facebook posts, twitter feeds and listen to conversations and comments on TV about how they are overjoyed and celebrating his death.  T-shirts being sold, pictures of the death being shared, people drinking and breaking bread over this.  "Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles" (Proverbs 24:17).  I fear that this is yet another attack from the enemy tearing apart our country.  At a time when we should be standing united, divided we are ever more.

Comments that I heard/read range from discounting President Obama's efforts, giving all the credit to President Bush, how nice it is to have a president who can speak intelligently, how this will secure Obama's second term, how Bush should have gotten this done, and more.  It saddens me that this moment in history can't be what it is - justice for families in our country who will forever look at the empty chair at the dinner table or the daughter who will never know her mother or father.  Why does it have to be about tearing someone down or whether you are right or left on the political pedulum? 

I do not claim to perfect.  I do not always choose the right path.  It is a challenge every day to love my enemy.  I am not judging.  I am merely saying personally, I choose Christ and I try every day to be more Christ-like.  I may fail everyday, but I will keep trying.  We cannot blame those who aren't followers for they do not know. 

I remember this day as history to share with Max....a day of gratitude for our soliders, everlasting thanks for this great nation, appreciation to all those who serve our country (including ALL presidents) and a day of hope - hope that someday we will be the UNITED States of this great America. 

"Let us remember that we can do these things not just because of wealth or power, but because of who we are: one nation, under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.  Thank you. May GOD bless you. And may GOD bless the United States of America"
- President Obama, May 1, 2011

4 comments:

  1. A friend linked me to your blog post and I think it's beautifully written and exactly how I feel as well. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, Mel. I agree wholeheartedly with all of your statements and hope that others can find themselves with clear minds and open hearts someday soon. This is a time to be thankful for closure for those families still hurting, but it should also be a time to start turning the tides toward a more peaceful world. Thanks for sharing, Melissa :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I just linked this post to my blog because its just so beautiful worded. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you'd prefer me to take it down. I just had to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, these words could have been from my mouth. I fear that the celebrations our fellow citizens have displayed will reap massive consequences. While I completely understand their high emotions, I do believe that we should follow what our Proverbs says.

    I, too, like Anna will probably link this to my blog as well. I couldn't have written it better myself. I tried to read it in the car on our way home from Houston, but it wouldn't pull up on my phone and totally forgot to go back. THANKS ANNA for reminding me through your blog!! ;)

    ReplyDelete